Well everyone, we have reached that time of year. A time when you look back at all the things that you have accomplished, and of course the things you have yet to. It’s a time when we begin to make goals for next year, however ridiculous they may be. It’s a time for family, friends, loved ones, and blah, blah, and blah. It has always been of interest how we, as humans, thrive on some sort of calendrical affirmation to our existence. It is both a very scary, and settling concept. Scary because each year that passes we are closer to the end of our existence. But is this not the same reason that the concept is settling? This constant reminder of our mortal existence, does it not attribute meaning to everything that we do? It is the recognition of this finite boundary that motivates our species to achieve. Without time effecting the biological/physiological expiration dates of our bodies, what would be the reason in finishing anything?
Today is part 1 of a 2 part series that will be highlighting Bassweight Society’s choices for the top 20 releases of 2011. We say releases, so our choices will range from a single song to a full-length album. It seems silly having to say this but, just for the record, we are covering releases within the 140 Dubstep arena. This was of one of the most painstaking things we have had to do for the website thus far. It took so long to gather all the great releases of this year. But, that was a cakewalk compared to the difficulty in narrowing a list of almost 100 tunes into a list of 20, and then ranking those 20. We understand that some of you will not agree with our choices but it’s our website so, start your own if it bothers you that much. We tried to encompass a lot of different styles within Dubstep, so hopefully that is seen by those reading this. So, without further ado, let’s get this thing started.
20. Sukh Knight, Mensah, Squarewave – G Activity (Hench Recordings)
- One of the greatest party tunes this year has seen. Eastern vibes layered up with one of the most anthemic drops. Each producer on this track, on an individual level, smashes it. So, nothing less than great should be expected when all three collaborate on the same tune. Download here.
19. V.I.V.E.K. – Eyes Down EP (Deep Medi Musik)
- Perfectly suiting the Deep Medi imprint, this 4 track EP takes the listener on a journey through human emotion. The sampling used in this album is of the highest caliber. His sounds have been described as “conciousness moving”, and this album is just that. Be on the look for this man in 2012. Download here.
18. Matt U – Straightened Up (Subway Music)
- 1 of 3 tracks released on the Straightened Up EP. This tune is just an absolute slumper. Matt-U has been releasing some really big tunes for the past few years and this is just another one for him to add under his belt. Top notch production. Download here.
17. Distance – Meanstreak EP (Chestplate Records)
- Founder of Chestplate Records, Distance, is out with another set of the heaviest and most evil sounds in the genre. This package is filled with 4 tracks produced with some extremely unique and technical sounds. Download here.
16. Truth & Decoda – The Emperor (Wheel & Deal Records)
- As if the New Zealand duo hadn’t made enough noise since 2009, they had to top off their year with this absolute gem. We feel that this tune is a perfect example of how you make an aggressive party tune without going over the top. Download here.
15. Matty G – Back To The Bay EP (Dub Police Records)
- It is a proud moment for us to place this release on our top 20. California native Matty G released one of the most unique and West Coast-vibed Dubstep albums ever this year. Each track has a different feel. Each track is produced amazingly. The samples and influences that Matty brings into his sounds truly make an imprint on the UK dominated genre. Download here.
14. Pinch – Swish (Deep Medi Musik)
- The almighty Pinch, who never ceases to amaze, dropped this ultimate sub-flexer mid-year. The tune is a fine display of innovation applied to classical Dubstep ideals. Download here.
13. L Wiz – Fotbojan (Hench Recordings)
- One of the finest producers of the “purple” sound, L-Wiz releases amazing tunes each year. This track is an absolute feel-good vibe. One you grab the person you love to and skank out. One that you hear as the night is about to end and you look at your friends around you and say to yourself, “fuck, life is so good!”. Massive out to L-Wiz for this one. Download here.
12. LX One – You/Give It Up ( Wheel & Deal Records)
- Both of these tunes are for the deep heads. Spot-on production skills. The bouncy vibe of ‘Give It Up’ is too good. The track ‘You’ is one that emits a tremendous amount of low-end pressure. This is how an MC shows you a thing or two about production. Download here.
11. DJ MADD – Arpz 3000 (Subway Music)
- DJ MADD is a producer who has been making huge tune after huge tune in the shadows. A lot of people don’t know that this man is one of the hardest working and talented artists out there. Each year he releases a large number of tunes on various labels. This year he blessed us with many more. ‘Arpz 3000’ is a tune that anybody can get down to. Download here.
BOOM! There you have it. Bassweight Society’s first half of the top 20 releases of the year. Some absolute gems in here folks. If you haven’t already purchased these tunes/EP’s/Albums, please show these artists some support and do so!
Make sure you stay connected with BWS. Next Friday we will posting choices 1-10! Hope everyone has a great weekend and a fantastic Christmas, if you celebrate it that is.
To the Gods.