Here ye, here ye. The countdown to officially welcome 2012 into our lives is here. 2011 has been amazing in numerous ways. Electronic music has been steadily rising in popularity, opening many avenues never thought possible for rave communities. Mainstream popularity, however, is not the greatest thing of this year. This year has birthed such a ridiculous amount of talent, new and old, it was literally impossible to keep track of everyone and everything going on. In areas of production and live performance, boundaries have been pushed further than imagined. What 2012 will bring is one of the most exciting questions we have been asking ourselves lately. Although this website is dedicated to a small niche of deep Dubstep, BIG THINGS will be happening in all genres of EDM this next year. Of course, there will also be an immense amount of absolute sh*t being released this next year, just like 2011 has seen. But, weeding out the sh*t is half the fun, if you ask us. So tomorrow, everyone, raise your glasses to one of the most progressive and expansive years Electronic music has seen. Raise your glasses to the wild roller coaster that 2012 holds ahead for us, because it is going to be a sick one!
Today, we have reached part 2 of our top 20 releases of 2011 segment. As stated in last weeks post, it was extremely difficult to put all this together, given the top quality productions the past year has seen. Doing the top 10 was about 75% of the difficulty that came with this task. I couldn’t even tell you how many times these tunes were listened to, re-ranked, re-ranked again, and so on. Despite the hardship, it was also really fun to do this. So, here we go. The top 10 releases of 2011:
10. J:Kenzo – The Roteks
- Instantly receiving a large amount of support from DJ’s, this tune throws out some of the heaviest low-end frequencies imaginable. The half-step drums leave space for the basslines to completely take over your mind. The eerie vocal sample, originating from a 1980’s TV series called M.A.S.K., gives way to one of the illest drops a tune could have. Download here.
9. Von D – Daydreaming LP
- It should be no surprise that one of the most musically educated/trained individuals on this planet has earned himself a spot in the top 10. Jerome Meyer has captured minds with his ability to successfully produce music in various genres. This album is one of the most fine tuned pieces of musical composition out there. Whether you are into soul/jazz-filled vocal bass music (ASAP), huge basslines (E von), or jungley-break style drum patterns (One Day ft. Riya), it’s all on this 15 track masterpiece. Download here.
8. Kryptic Minds – Cant Sleep LP
- Arguably one of the most talented monickers in Dubstep, Kryptic Minds released this album early in the year. Perfectly titled, Can’t Sleep, this album is a shining example of “less is more”. Their minimalistic approach to production, rendering spacious mixdowns and nightmare-like vibes, gives its listener a sense of absolute solitude. Download here.
7. Benton – Thermo Stellar
- Never has there been a tune that hits as hard and as low as this tune right here. Benton’s ability to make some of the most evil sounding music is unrivaled. The distant-sounding ambiance, horror movie chimes, and gritty low frequencies absolutely smash any and every dancefloor. Download here.
6. Headhunter – Projector
- Hailing from one of the most prolific Bass music producers, this tune is an absolute RINSER! The bouncy synths, punchy kick drums, and chest-rattling sub frequencies all work together to make one of the biggest tunes of the year. One of the most well rounded tunes of the year, hands down. Headhunter’s musical talent and production expertise show through on this one. Download here.
5. Goth Trad – Babylon Fall EP
- Where to even begin on this release? 4 tracks that are all near perfection, all very unique, and all versatile to any situation. These tracks take your ears for the ride of a lifetime. Some of the most energetic bassweight Dubstep ever made. Goth Trad has been around since the early early days of Dubstep, and his eclectic musical influences give him a very signature sound/vibe. Download here.
4. TMSV – Myth
- Meditation music at its finest. Exhibiting tribal horns perfectly touched with delay, bouncy bongos, and a sub-bass line that can throw anybody into a trance, this tune is definitely one of the most successfully unique tunes the year has seen. An absolute spliff-riddim’! Get back to your roots with this one. Download here.
3. Phaeleh – The Cold In You
- This 7 track release exhibits the most emotion-filled productions that, quite possibly, this decade has seen. Phaeleh’s music is one of the few that can actually bring tears to your eyes because of its sheer beauty. Like Von D, Phaeleh has the ability to jump from style-to-style, and do so with ease and success. One minute you’re feeling as if you are floating through some surreal utopian dimension, while the next you are watching plates shift beneath the earths surface. Purchase here.
2. Author – Author LP
- One of the most widely anticipated releases of the year, and rightfully so. This 8 track package of goodies incorporates such a vast amount of musical influence it would take up an entire page to try to recap it. Coming from the hands of Jack Sparrow and Ruckspin, this album is just flat-out amazing. Listen for yourself. Truly the music for the revolutionary thinker. Purchase here.
1. Joker – The Vision (Instrumental Version)
- Honestly wish there was a picture of our faces when we first heard this track. We went absolutely bonkers! this tune was without question the biggest release of the year. The extremely catchy synths immediately hook the listener, and then the drop just leaves the listener dumbfounded. Purchase here.
BRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAP! That’s the word, ya’ll. Top 10 release of the 2011, as interpreted by Bassweight Society. Hope you all enjoyed the read! If you haven’t already purchased these tunes, it is an absolute MUST, so get out there and do it. We wish everybody a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Be safe, be smart, and most importantly, be WILD! We will see everybody Monday for another Mix Monday session. We out!
To the Gods.